Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Book Review: You, Maybe: The Profound Asymmetry of Love in High School


Photobucket

Title: You, Maybe: A Profound Asymmetry of Love in High School
Pages:199


Synopsis:
Josie is independent, fierce,and does not care what anyone thinks about her, especially where guys are concerned. She may flirt with them, and even kiss them, but it doesn't mean anything, not even with Michael. He's more like a friend-with-benefits.
So who can explain what happens when Carson Gold decides he's interested in her? Carson Gold, the hottest senior, the one everyone secretly watches. At first Josie treats him the same way she treats everybody else. But something about him gets to her. Maybe it's the same thing that causes everyone to watch him. Maybe it's something between them, something just he and Josie share.
Can you blame her for what happens? Could you resist? Neither can Josie, though not for lack of trying, and despite her better sense. It's too much, that first time love finds you and sucks you under. It's too much even for Josie.

Review:
This book was not what I expected. I guess I was expecting puppy love and giggling girls. But I became so much more engrossed with Josie's transformation as she becomes the girlfriend of the hottest, most popular senior guy in high school.

Josie's story took me back to relive some of the memories I lived through as a teenager and I tell you that the main character is a resilient girl, very intelligent and chill, someone I would have hung out with. I liked that in her character.

I started to dislike her about half way through the story. She started doubting herself, molding herself to be what her boyfriend wanted her to be. She literally twisted in to a pretzel for him. I couldn't help but want to step into the book, tell her that it was okay to be herself and that her boyfriend was not worth it. And that her friends loved the old Josie, the quirky, funny and chill, Josie.

The writing in the book was easy to follow and was a quick read. I would recommend this book. The story line is a common theme in life that readers will easily identify with.

Worth you time!


Photobucket


No comments: